The intriguing history of aviation in Charleston, West Virginia, deserves to fly out of anonymity. Wertz Field opened in Institute in 1930, allowing for the introduction of the first commercial passenger service in 1933. In 1942, the construction of a rubber plant next to the field blocked flight approaches, resulting in its closure. Recognizing the urgent need for air service to the community, industrious West Virginians literally moved mountains to build Kanawha Airport on flat land created by leveling three mountains north of the stateâ€™s capital, Charleston. Opening in November 1947, Kanawha Airport offered the community convenient air service and became home to the West Virginia Air National Guard. This book covers the history of aviation in the Charleston area, from the first airplane flight in 1912 to the current Yeager Airport, which links the region to the world economy.
About the author:
A native of Charleston, West Virginia, Nicholas Keller serves as the assistant airport director of Yeager Airport. Keller received a master of science degree in aviation management from Purdue University and lives with his wife, Allison, in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. Most of the photographs in this book have never been published and were obtained from Yeager Airport, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, and Charleston Newspapers archives.